So it’s been a over a month since our Pitch Day and we know what you’re thinking – who ended up getting investment from Optus-Innov8?
Well that’s a great question so let’s get that off our chest – we’re currently in term sheet discussions with a few exciting startups which we hope to reach agreement soon. There’s not much more we can say about it at this stage unfortunately but what we can say is that it’s very exciting and we’ll make the announcement as soon as we can.
Since our last blog update, the team also been doing some globe trekking. Bec and Alfred were over in the Perth last weekend for the inaugural Startup Weekend Perth (where the winner was social gifting startup Giftit.so and runners-up BreakEven) whilst Peter was long-hauling it overseas for some meetings. NB: You’ll be pleased to know we fly economy.
One of the locations the whole team visited was Singapore where we caught up with our colleagues at SingTel, Globe, AIS and Telkomsel. It was an exchange of ideas around the startup scene in Asia-Pacific and zoned into how we could help each other’s respective startup programs. We’ve each taken a slightly different approach to our local startup ecosystem and it was interesting to hear about the nuances that sets us apart. But one thing was clear – how can we help each of our startups in our partner’s markets. We can’t wait to help beat a path for our Australian startups into South East Asia!
In the meantime, there looks to be even more events happening around the traps (not to mention the mega event SydStart that was held earlier this week):
- General Assembly Sydney keeps cranking out some essential and super startup courses – definitely something here for everybody
- Lean Startup Machine Sydney is on for the first time in Oz this weekend at Fishburners with a crack panel of speakers and mentors
- TieCON Sydney 2012 will be in full force on October 10 at the Sydney Masonic Centre – it looks like it’s going to be big
- Startup Weekend Sydney is on Nov 9 with a Mobile theme, and will be back at Fishburners for the second time in a row
- The inaugural Startup Weekend Brisbane is scheduled for the weekend following Startup Weekend Sydney on Nov 16, at River City Labs
Although we’re still going through our Winter program investment process, it’s probably not a bad time for an early call out for our Summer/Season 2 program intake. It’s set to commence in earnest a couple of months (November really isn’t that far away) so get your startup prepared. More details to follow soon.
Til next time.